02 October 2015

Shabbat Chol HaMoed Sukkot 5776

19 Tishrei 5776
4th Day Chol HaMoed Sukkot
Erev Shabbat Kodesh

Haftarah Shabbat Chol HaMoed Sukkot
Ezekiel 38:18-39:16

The subject of the haftorah of this Shabbat is the war of Gog and Magog that will precede the Final Redemption. Its connection to the holiday of Sukkot is that according to tradition the war will take place during the month of Tishrei, the month when the holiday of Sukkot falls. In addition, this war is identical to the one described in the fourteenth chapter of Zachariah, the haftorah read on the first day of Sukkot, which concludes by saying that the gentile survivors of this war will be required to go to Jerusalem every year on the holiday of Sukkot to pay homage to G-d.

The prophet describes Gog's war against Israel and G-d's furious response. G-d will send an earthquake, pestilence, great floods and hailstones and fire--utterly destroying Gog's armies.

"And I will reveal Myself in My greatness and in My holiness and will be recognized in the eyes of many nations, and they will know that I am the Lord. . . . I will make known My Holy Name in the midst of My people Israel, and I will no longer cause My Holy Name to be profaned, and the nations will know that I, the Lord, am holy in Israel."

The haftorah concludes by saying that the weaponry of the defeated armies of Gog will provide fuel for fire for seven years! The Jews "shall carry no wood from the fields nor cut down any from the forests, for they shall make fires from the weapons." (Source)

~Shabbat Shalom~

2 comments:

  1. I think it starts on Sukkot and ends at Pesach - "in Nissan we were redeemed and in Nissan we will be redeemed." And as I indicated in a previous post, "motzaei shvi'it" can cover the period of Rosh Hashanah to Pesach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First Tevet...it says that when Mashiah comes then in month of Tevet we will have the Holiday

      Delete